Thursday, November 5, 2009

~ Double Duty ~
















Sometimes we think of ideas that seem like good ideas, and then they seem a lot harder to achieve than we originally thought. They may be too complicated or take to much time to complete. I bought a lovely top piece from Felicia of Bountiful several months ago. Now, I first thought this will look fantastic on top of my kitchen cabinets once I got them painted. Well, long story short, it was too deep and at 14" deep it would have hung over by 2" and most likely busted the crown molding above the cabinets. So then it sat in my living room for weeks. My lovely dark wood carved top piece. Then I thought why not find a bottom piece to put it on and go from there. As I am in the process of trying to create a neat kitchen island out of a vintage piece of furniture, I came across an old magazine which showed an old vintage buffet as a kitchen island so I started my search. (by the way I have now forgotten about the top piece). Luckily a week ago I found one for $120.00 and could not pass it up. You know me-out comes the cream colored paint. Painted it and scraped it and decided not to stain it this time. I think it came out well and has been in my kitchen for about 4 days until today.....I had one of those Ah Ha moments and dragged out the top piece and started to paint away. Painting it the same color as the vintage buffet in my kitchen. Now I bet you know what I did next. I measured the top piece and the buffet and decided that with a 2" difference in their sizes that I would go ahead and see if they would fit together. They did and I am excited over the way in which it turned out. Now snuggled in my dining room-which is another project in the works.......

21 comments:

  1. How cool is that... wowza!
    I have some pieces to figure out what to do with too. Sometimes you just have to live with it a while the... the idea comes to you.
    Beautiful...I love it.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just stunning! I am so jealous...now I'll be keeping my eyes open...thanks for the great ideas. Your blog is always inspiring and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring idea. It looks so beautiful painted. sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great... don't you love it when that happens.
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - it is gloriously gorgeous!! I would love that in my home. Actually I do have a buffet that looks so similar to yours - it is still the old wood, but I have been wanting to paint it a soft cream. Maybe seeing yours will inspire me to move forward on that. Also, now I will have to have a wonderful top piece to put on it or I'll never be satisfied. All in good time... Anyway, you did a fabulous job. I'm going back now to look at it again...

    Cynthia K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I just love what you did. I have an old sideboard like that and now you have inspired me to start looking for a top! My husband is going to love that I have yet another project in the corner of the garage that is taking over!

    Good job, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know our neighbors think EVERYTHING in our home is painted white or off white...( and for the most part it is )...I love it.~~
    And the grass has permanent spray paint on it.

    GOOD JOB on the buffet...looks very nice.

    Rose
    http://delightfulclutter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them together, they look like they were made for each other! Don't ya love when those ah ha moments work out perfectly!
    Hugs~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a striking piece of furniture you have created. What a focal point for the room. Please take photos of it after you have filled it with holiday decor. I know it is going to look lovely. Sea Witch

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, you are brilliant. That piece is fabulous. I saw an article in Country Living where a gal in Chicago took two pieces of furniture and made an island. Is that where you saw the idea? I loved that.
    I have the old china hutch that goes with your buffet. My buffet is in the bathroom at the shabby old house. Anyway the china hutch still sits in my garage because the legs are broken and I want to use it on the wall in our laundry room there. You just inspired me to get busy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The 2 pieces look like they were meant to be together. Beautiful!
    Have a blessed day!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an amazing piece!!Have a great weekend Ciao Rita mammabellarte

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would probably have a hard time painting those pieces myself but I must say, Wow. Turned out great and I can't wait to see what you do with it and how you display things in and on it.
    Have a good weekend!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Tiina, this. is. GORGEOUS!!!! I love it when you marry two different pieces and now...what a grand piece it is! You have the touch sweet girl, xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. i thought is was originally one GORGEOUS...did I say GORGEOUS piece of furniture. it was worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful!! both pieces look perfect together!
    I noticed you had them both inside ready to paint with newspaper and foil under the legs..do you paint them in your house over carpet?? You must be a extremely neat and experienced painter..I make such a mess..I wish i could paint indoors...like you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this piece!!

    Off to catch up on the rest of your blog.
    Been gone a bit.

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh WoW,,very pretty. I find it hard to choose color...what color of white are you working with?
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete