Monday, March 23, 2009

~ Heavenly Collections ~
















What is it about an item that draws us in? Is it the color or the texture or simply the look of the piece. I have never really understood people's fascination with Ironstone pottery. What is it about the thick plastered pieces that make it so appealing? And even chipped, cracked, and especially heavily crazed (to the point of looky dirty) ironstone seems to be on everyones to have list. Lynn is especially fond of the "dirtier" pieces. I used to never understand what is was that was so special. A boring unadorned dish or pitcher with a very simple look, but over time gains a patina of age that comforts the eyes-especially eyes that are drawn to sepia tones and creams. And there you have it! I am hooked as well , and although I do not have a growing collection I am happy in the knowledge that I can break into Lynn's house anytime and get my fix......

10 comments:

  1. Ironstone is one of the things I love and collect. I don't know why I like it, I just do. Like any other love, doesn't need a reason!
    Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sold many a piece of old tea stained looking ironstone...probably the things I miss the most when they are gone, but know someone else is loving those pieces. Those are charming, Like I said before I have a total addiction to anything tea stained...even ironstone. Nice looking blog page too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tiina, thought I would let you know that I changed all the locks and the alarm code after reading this blog, I dare you to try to come and take my skanky ironstone!! Have a good evening.Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to think about the draw of certain pieces to our senses. I have thoroughly enjoyed the ironstone collections that I have seen on your blog and others. It is so beautiful in it's simplicity. I do seem to like the more worn and stained pieces as they seem to show that they have a history of use. Lovely pictures-your friend's home and collections are beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very lucky~you have a great friend with a GREAT collection of Ironstone~I love also but Only have 2 pieces, & no where near the beautiful patina as your friend Lynns! But, thanks for my fix tonight!:)~Another wonderful thing about the blogging world!!
    Hope your week is off to a great start!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I wanted to drop you a visit to ask you to stop by and receive an award for your beautiful blog! See you at
    http://thechateauofremnants.blogspot.com
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am mesmerized by linens..I love linen. the feel the look..I collect linens...and though I display some them around my house, I must confess I am like a squirrel.... tuck them away in the garage or closets..and well..sometimes..I forget what I have...so when I clean my garage or dig in back of closets I am frequently surprised..and delighted ....What draws us to these things?? I always wonder this ..and when I go shopping I always tell my girlfriend... DON'T LET ME GO NEAR THE LINENS! I give you permission to slap me if I do!!!!!.She never stops me...do they have a Patch for this affliction????

    ReplyDelete
  8. You aren't kidding, what a heavenly collection. I truly love visiting your blog. Your pictures are just amazing and you have such beautiful things. Hope you have a wonderful week, C-ya soon.
    Stephenie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't collect ironstone, not yet anyhow. I just happen to have a couple of things. It feels solid, well made and long lasting... and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... what a beautiful post!!!!!! I am hooked!!!

    ReplyDelete