Thursday, March 5, 2009

~ Magical Mirrors ~











I seem to be on one of those rolls where I am titling my blog stories with the same first letter. Not very creative but I thought it would be fun. Tonight I am posting pictures of several variations of mirrors throughout Lynn and SR's home. Lynn, like with Ironstone, has a passion for old skanky mirrors. The more distorted the better. The pie-crust edged mirrors seem to be harder and harder to find and are very unique. Layered and stacked they add a real touch of elegance. I especially like them stacked in front of one another. Plateau mirrors have also become one of my favorite. I noticed that Lynn has several small square shaped mirrors throughout her house both in bowls and on dishes. When I asked her where these came from she said that SR gave them to her. Thinking these were a thoughtful gift that he had bestowed upon her, I came to find out that these were actually shoe mirrors. For those of you who are not familiar with shoe mirrors, these are strategically placed on top of one's shoes and used to peek up ladies skirts! Once again, SR has managed to tarnish the beauty of these once cherished possessions of long ago. The man has no scruples what so ever.

9 comments:

  1. Well, now that's interesting about shoe mirrors! I will never look at mirrors the same again. :) gotta love them though....xo...deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men!!!

    Funny and informative post!

    The Texas Woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoe mirrors! Who knew???

    I have a thing for mirrors (not shoe mirrors though, haha), love the way Lynn uses them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu are so amusing,,I always get a chuckel here. Thanks for that.
    Marcie
    I cannot say that I know what a shoe mirror looks like, exactly,,do you have a photo?
    The wall pocket on the door in the photo looks very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mirrors! They add sparkle to a room and I love it when they are in old ornate frames:) I lived in college dorms that were more than 100 years old. My dorm room was on the fourth floor and every stair landing had a mirror on the wall. The original purpose was for girls to check the length of their skirts before coming down for classes to make sure that they weren't too short. The mirrors remained as a remninder of days gone by:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh...I love all of these gorgeous mirrors! So beautiful and sparkly! That's what I want to do on the stairway wall going down to our basement. Add a little shimmer, know what I mean?

    Have a great day!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mirrors are beautiful; the older , the better, with that worn look about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your blog is lovely...I will visit often for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too, love to collect antique mirrors! I am especially fond of frameless mirrors, with or without the old chains! I love to layer them hanging on the wall or on tabletops! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete